e-mail: iaekrak@archeo.pan.krakow.pl

 

A FEW WORDS ABOUT THE HISTORY

The Cracow Branch of the Institute of Archaeology and Ethnology, Polish Academy of Sciences, is one of the oldest archaeological institutions in Poland. Main events during its history are:
 

·         1850 - The Archaeological Museum was founded by the Cracow Scientific Society.

·         1873 - The Academy of  Science and Arts began to function (officially it was founded in 1871, growing out of the Cracow Scientific Society). Within the Faculty of History and Philosophy of the Academy of  Science and Arts, the Archaeological Committee was created, with Józef Lepkowski as the Chairman. Collections of the Archaeological Museum became the property of the Academy of Science and Arts.

·         1876 -  The Archaeological Museum came under the management of the Anthropological Committee (Chairman Józef Majer), within the Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences of the Academy of Science and Arts.

·         1891-1893 - The Archaeological Museum was directed by Gotfryd Ossowski.

·         1893 - The Archeological Museum became an independent institution of the Academy of Science and Arts.

·         1894-1937 - The Archeological Museum was directed by Wlodzimierz Demetrykiewicz.

·         1919 - After Poland regained the independence, the name "Academy of Science and Arts" was changed into "Polish Academy of Science and Arts".

·         1937-1954 - The Archeological Museum was directed by Tadeusz Reyman.

·         1949 - The Archaeological Museum took possession of the palace (manor house) at Igolomia and established its research facilities there.

·         1953 - Activity of the Polish Academy of Science and Arts was terminated. Its agencies (including the Archaeological Museum and the Center of Material Culture), as well as its material property, were transferred to the newly created Polish Academy of Sciences.

·         1953 - The Center of Material Culture was renamed "Center of the History of Material Culture" and became an auxiliary institution of Department I of the Polish Academy of Sciences. Tadeusz Reyman was appointed a head of the Center and of the Archaeological Museum. In the same time the Center of Etnography was created, with Kazimierz Moszynski as director. In 1954, he was succeeded by Mieczyslaw Gladysz.

·         1954 - The Center of the History of Material Culture was incorporated into the newly created Institute of the History of Material Culture, located in Warsaw, and renamed “Cracow Center of the Polish Archaeology of IHKM PAN”. The institution retained part of the library collection of the Archaeological Museum, part of the artifact collections, and the palace at Igolomia with all its research facilities. Stefan Nosek became its directors.

·         1955 - The Archaeological Museum was transferred to the Ministry of Culture and Arts from Polish Academy of Sciences.

·         1965 - The Cracow Center of the Polish Archaeology of IHKM PAN was renamed “Center for Archaeology of Little Poland of IHKM PAN”.

·         1955-1966 - The Center for Archaeology of Little Poland of IHKM PAN was directed by Stefan Nosek.

·         1966-1990 - The Center for Archaeology of Little Poland of IHKM PAN was directeds by Jan Machnik.

·         1971 - The Cracow Center of Ethnography was renamed the "Work Group of the Center of Ethnography IHKM PAN in Warsaw". Anna Kowalska-Lewicka became its head.

·         1973 - The Work Group of the Center of Ethnography IHKM PAN in Warsaw was renamed the Center of Ethnography IHKM PAN. Its first head was Maria Gladysz and succeeded in 1983 by Zofia Szromba-Rys. From 1987 the Center was directed by Danuta Tylek.

·         1992 - The Institute of the History of Material Culture was renamed “Institute of Archaeology and Ethnology PAN. The Center for Archaeology of Little Poland was renamed “Cracow Branch of the Institute of Archaeology and Ethnology PAN”. It comprised, besides the Cracow Branch and the Igolomia Branch, also the Ethnological Branch, scientifically directed by the Center of Ethnology of  IAE PAN, Warsaw.

 

Prepared by Barbara Baczynska, M.A. and Dr. Urszula Lehr